Skip to content


Katie is the ClinSoc welfare rep

An integral part of being a medical student means keeping yourself happy and healthy! No matter how small your worries, there is always someone at in the Clinical School you can turn to for support.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any problems, want to know what support is available to you or simply to have a chat. My email is or please contact me on Facebook. I understand that sometimes you may not want to talk to another clinical student so we have put together a little guide to all the support that is available to you.

In addition to improving your day-to-day wellbeing, I also arrange events such as a bake off and drop ins throughout the year to help you relax and unwind in the middle of what can be quite a hectic clinical school schedule.

There’s also a whole host of welfare information on MedEd. Here is a link to the page (you’ll need to login via Raven).

What Welfare is Available to you as a Clinical Student?

In the Clinical School:

Your welfare officers Rachel and Anna.  Please email us, message us and facebook or find us around clinical school. No problem is too small.

Clinical Sub-dean for student welfare, Dr Richard Davies
“I am both a Cambridge GP and Associate Dean for student welfare. My role is to organise and co-ordinate effective pastoral support and student welfare services for clinical students, and also to provide advice to individual students with concerns about any aspect of student welfare. I am very happy to be contacted at any time by students with questions or concerns about themselves or any of their colleagues. I can be contacted by email (rgd25), or you can arrange an appointment to see me by talking to Sue Eason, Personal Assistant to the Clinical Dean. I will also often be in the Associate Deans office in the Clinical School on a Thursday morning if you just want to drop in.”

Clinical Student Mental Health Service 
This is a new Mental Health Service which has been commissioned by the Clinical School for Clinical Medical Students. It has been realised that as medical students we have an increased need of mental health services and need to access to help quicker than other students. The service provides confidential access to a Psychiatrist, and where appropriate a Psychologist, for any Clinical Student with a mental health problem requiring specialist advice. Referral is made from a student
s GP or via the University Occupational Health Service. Whilst the clinical school provides the funding and the access, the school does not know who has accessed this service.

Peer2Peer Support
“Peer2Peer is a student-run programme offering confidential, informal support to undergraduates, graduates, and post-docs in Cambridge. Students play an essential role in supporting and encouraging one another on a day-to-day basis, and this programme has been developed in recognition of that.” For more information visit their website:

In Cambridge:

The same support you had as an undergraduate is still in place, including the following:


Offers confidential, anonymous, non-directive and non judgemental support. In operation everyday of Full Term, 7pm to 8am.Send them an email or telephone: 367575

In operation 24 hours a day. Telephone: 08457 909090 
Address for drop-in: 4 Emmanuel Road, Cambridge, CB1 1JW
Hours for drop-in: 10:30am to 10:30pm

As a Doctor:

BMA Counselling and Doctor Advice Service
This is a confidential, nationwide, non-stop advice and counselling for doctors and medical students. Talk through any issues which may be worrying you in total privacy, confident that you are getting the best possible support.
Visit their website or call them on 01455 254 189. They also have a good list of external websites where you may find help.

GLADD representatives
This is the Gay and Lesbian Association of Doctors and Dentists – this is a link to the GLADD website:

Other Resources

The British Doctors and Dentists Group for drug and alcohol users

The British International Doctors Association
Where cultural or linguistic problems may be a contributing factor, doctors can access the health counselling panel
Telephone: 0161 456 7828
Send them an email:

Doctors’ Support Network

Self-help group for doctors with any form of mental health concern. They also have a confidential, anonymous peer support telephone line (call 0844 395 3010).

Some more general resources:
Sexual Health

Student Advice Service’s page on sexual health

The new integrated Cambridgeshire sexual health service is iCash and they can be found at the Lime Tree clinic at Broomfileds hospital on Mill road.
Telephone: 0300 300 3030

Offering non-judgmental, confidential information and support from fully-trained male and female volunteers, on pregnancy, sexual health, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted infections, being a student parent, childcare, abortion, adoption, contraception and emergency contraception
Send them an email or call (3)33179. Dial the first 3 if you are calling from a non-University phone. Free from University extensions In operation: Sat and Sun, 15:00 to 17:00, during Full Term. Recorded information at all other times.