Welfare Contacts

Need to talk to someone about a welfare issue?

Use one of the links below:

At the Clinical School

Welfare Officers

Your Academic & Welfare officers are Ronak and Isabelle.

Contact us via our contacts page or find us around the clinical school.

You can create an e-mail account at Hushmail if you want to e-mail the welfare team anonymously and confidentially.

No problem is too small.


Peer2Peer is a new, student-run programme offering confidential, informal support.

Your Peer2Peer supporters can be found on this poster.

For more information, visit the website.

Pastoral Advisor Scheme

The Pastoral Advisor Scheme is designed to provide an extra level of advice and support for clinical students. You will be allocated a Pastoral Advisor, who will be a senior clinician who does not hold a formal teaching role.

They will be available to provide confidential advice, guidance and support at any point during your clinical training.

Welfare Associate Dean

Dr Richard Davies had this to say:

I am both a Cambridge GP and Associate Dean for student welfare. My role is to organise and co-ordinate effective pastoral support and student welfare services for clinical students, and also to provide advice to individual students with concerns about any aspect of student welfare. I am very happy to be contacted at any time by students with questions or concerns about themselves or any of their colleagues. I can be contacted by email (rgd25), or you can arrange an appointment to see me by talking to Sue Eason, Personal Assistant to the Clinical Dean. I will also often be in the Associate Deanís office in the Clinical School on a Thursday morning if you just want to drop in.

Clinical Student Mental Health Service

This is a new Mental Health Service which has been commissioned by the Clinical School for Clinical Medical Students. The service provides confidential access to a Psychiatrist, and where appropriate a Psychologist, for any Clinical Student with a mental health problem requiring specialist advice. Referral is made from a studentís GP (usually in association with the University Occupational Health Service).

GLADD Representatives

This is the Gay and Lesbian Association of Doctors and Dentists - this is a link to the GLADD website: http://www.gladd.co.uk/.

In Cambridge

The same support you had as an undergraduate is still in place, including the following:

JCR/MCR Welfare Officers
College Nurse
Student Advice Service
Send them an email
University Counselling Service
Offering confidential, anonymous, non-directive and non-judgemental support.
In operation everyday of Full Term, 7pm to 8am.
Send them an email
Telephone: 367575
In operation 24 hours a day.
Telephone: 08457 909090
Address for drop-in: 4 Emmanuel Road, Cambridge, CB1 1JW
Hours for drop-in: 10:30am to 10:30pm

As a Doctor

BMA Counselling and Doctor Advice Service

This is a confidential, nationwide, non-stop advice and counselling for doctors and medical students.

Talk through any issues which may be worrying you in total privacy, confident that you are getting the best possible support.

Visit their website or call them on 01455 254 189.

They also have a good list of external websites where you may find help.

Other Resources

The British Doctorsí and Dentistsí Group for drug and alcohol users
The British International Doctors Association
Where cultural or linguistic problems may be a contributing factor, doctors can access the health counselling panel
Telephone: 0161 456 7828
Send them an email
Doctors' Support Network
Self-help group for doctors with any form of mental health concern. They also have a confidential, anonymous peer support telephone line (call 0844 395 3010).

Mental Health

Medical Students

The General Medical Council and the Medical Schools Council have launched new guidance to help medical schools provide advice and support to students who are experiencing mental health difficulties. The guidance has been developed in response to requests from medical schools for more advice and support on this subject.

A copy of the guidance can be found here.

Another good resource specifically for doctors and medical students, from Medical Careers, can be found here.

Sexual Health

Useful resources:

Student Advice Service's page on sexual health
The new integrated Cambridgeshire sexual health service is iCash and they can be found at the Lime Tree clinic at Broomfileds hospital on Mill road.
Telephone: 0300 300 3030
Website: http://www.icash.nhs.uk/
Offering non-judgmental, confidential information and support from fully-trained male and female volunteers, on pregnancy, sexual health, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted infections, being a student parent, childcare, abortion, adoption, contraception and emergency contraception
Send them an email
Call (3)33179. Dial the first 3 if you are calling from a non-University phone. Free from University extensions In operation: Sat and Sun, 15:00 to 17:00, during Full Term. Recorded information at all other times.